Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Cambodia Project, Inc.

Have you ever heard of this Non-Profit? No, well neither have I until a good friend of mine introduced me to it.

This is an organization that focuses on furthering education for rural children in Cambodia. Cambodia is the country of my origin, but I wasn't born neither ever visited there! I was actually lucky to have survived because my mother was almost shot down while trying to escape the Khmer Rouge on the famous trail from Cambodia to Thailand. She was shot in the ankle while pregnant with me, but with help of other victims of the regime...they helped her cross the border to the safety of refugee camps.

Anyhow, they help the children get the education they need so that they can try to raise their country above "Third World." My friend is planning to relocate there and become an English teacher for the project...that is so awesome! He might go as soon as 6 months. He mentioned to me..."Save the money, you don't have to worry about lodging now! Just have enough for flight, food and souvenirs!"

I hope all goes well for him...I will obviously give him all my blessings! Once he settles, I will most likely go there for my first "out of the country" trip.

I know it will be a culture shock, but I'd rather be shocked than get accustomed immediately...I shouldn't consider it normal for the country of my origin to be the way it is!!!

Please read more...

THE CAMBODIA PROJECT, INC.

No comments:

Post a Comment